Conference Planning Consultant RFP
RepresentUs requests proposals for a Conference Planning Consultant with experience in developing dynamic, interactive, and user-centered conferences to help produce our second annual Unrig the System Summit. RepresentUs is the nation’s largest grassroots anti-corruption campaign. We bring conservatives and progressives together to fix America’s corrupt political system.
In early February 2018, RepresentUs held the inaugural Unrig the System Summit in New Orleans, Louisiana. The Summit was a three-day, solutions-oriented gathering of democracy reform groups, academics, activists, and influencers from across the political spectrum.
Our goals were: to demonstrate a cross-partisan movement on the rise; to bring people from across the movement together to share ideas, break bread, and collaborate; and to do so in a way that was inclusive, creative, interactive and, above all, fun.
More than 1,200 attendees came from all 50 states to enjoy over 50 plenaries, panels, and workshops. They heard presentations from renowned policy and activism experts, shared knowledge and skills, and built a national anti-corruption network and movement. Topics covered ranged from gerrymandering and voting rights to the rise of big data in politics and the racial equity case for campaign finance reform. Shared resources, such as the Movement Map, developed as a result of collaborations from the Summit.
In addition to scores of panels led by experts, the Summit featured some of the biggest names in entertainment, including RepresentUs board member Jennifer Lawrence, comedians Tig Notaro, Nikki Glaser, and Adam Yenser, and musicians HoneyHoney and the Preservation All-Stars.
The 2019 Summit
The second annual Unrig the System Summit will take place in Nashville, Tennessee on March 29-31, 2019. The first Summit was a tremendous success, and also created room for growth opportunities. Attendees hoped for more skills-based programming, chances to network, and diverse perspectives. As we turn to planning 2019, we expect to build upon our success and put attendee experience and opinion at the forefront of our design process. The Summit is intentionally designed to leave participants feeling energized to be a part of the democracy reform movement and with a clear plan to get involved. To achieve this goal, we’re looking for a Conference Planning Consultant (CPC) to guide our top level programming.
RepresentUs is currently working to map out the Summit design and themes. The CPC will start with these structures, enhance them, and bring the program to life in the months leading up to the Summit.
How You’ll Contribute
We’re looking for an outstanding and experienced event designer and producer to join us for the planning and execution of the 2019 Unrig the System Summit.
You are… *
- An event expert, experienced in planning large and complicated conferences or events, either as an independent consultant or with a small team of your own.
- An experienced producer, with enthusiasm for logistics and managing teams of people.
- A designer of engaging, educational, and exciting experiences for different kinds of audiences.
- A person with strong attention to detail for the little things in a program or event and know that every element matters.
- Comfortable managing multiple concurrent projects and cross-functional team members.
* We do not expect that a successful candidate has every one of these attributes.
Program Design & Implementation
- Work with RepresentUs staff to understand the developed structure, and ensure planning for the event is in line with those goals.
- Implement cohesive framing across programming, identify key frameworks for sessions, and ensure that themes are messaged and reiterated in programming.
- Integrate participant feedback from 2018 Summit into program design, advise on soliciting attendee feedback for 2019.
- Own the recruitment of facilitators for Summit workshop sessions, their onboarding, and lead speaker and moderator coaching sessions prior to the Summit for all presenters.
- Develop interstitial activities to engage participants between speakers and sessions.
- Design and lead “Unconference” programming to leverage attendee talent.
- Identify thematic and framework gaps in existing programming.
- Ensure that programming engages target audiences through tailored experiences.
Event Production & Support
- Oversee production across all sessions (plenaries, lighting & sound design, video, etc.)
- Advise and execute on set, environment, and attendee experience design and production.
- Advise on Summit logistics and production.
- Collaborate with RepresentUs creative team to design, scope and procure stages, common areas, branding, signage, et al.
- Enhance and build upon structures established for Unrig Summit 2018. Apply event experience across all levels of Summit planning. Approach the Summit from a top-level perspective.
- Provide on the ground, day-of support as a key leader of the production team and staff. (The CPC will be onsite for the duration of the Summit.)
- Optional: Lead on the ground volunteer training.
- Optional: Design and lead a “Spark Stage” (or TED-talk-style) experience at the Summit.
- Optional: Preference to applicants who can provide support staff for production during the Summit.
Details & Logistics
Length of Engagement:
- RepresentUs is looking for a Conference Planning Consultant to come on board in September of 2018. The Consultant’s engagement with RepresentUs will extend until ten business days following the final day of Unrig the System Summit on March 31, 2019.
- We expect this position to be 15-20 hours/week.
Support and Collaboration with RepresentUs Staff:
- A large portion of our 25-person staff will be involved in the planning and execution of this event. Currently, 2-FTE/week, ramping up significantly as the event approaches.
- The Conference Planning Consultant will work directly with the Director of Strategic Projects and Partnerships and the Special Programs Manager.
- CPC will collaborate with staff for Summit marketing, logistics, program design, presenter outreach and communications, budget management, production, and on-site staffing.
- Executive Sponsors: Josh Silver, Director; Josh Graham Lynn, Managing Director; Vanessa Zaehring, Operations Director.
- Expenses: Flights to and from Summit location and accommodations will be provided by RepresentUs Education Fund. All other expenses will be case-dependent.
How To Apply
- Four to six years of experience in event planning and execution.
- Experience with production.
- Experience in program design and project management.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Describe you/your firm’s capabilities.
- List the principal staff members who will work directly on the Summit, as well as their qualifications.
- Provide a client list, highlighting policy- and/or advocacy-oriented conference facilitation experience, experience with Nashville events, relevant conference planning experience and any additional information you deem pertinent to consultant selection.
- Provide three references from past conference clients.
- Serious respondents can request a copy of the current iteration of the program outline by emailing email@example.com with subject line “RFP Response.”
Please send RFP responses and inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “RFP Response.” Preference given to applications received on or before September 1, 2018.
RepresentUs is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to recruit, hire, train, and promote at all levels the most qualified applicants without regard for race, ethnicity, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, transgender/transsexual identity, HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, matriculation, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran (collectively known as “Status Factors”). All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs.