Request for Proposals
Unrig 2019 Local Consultant
RepresentUs will contract with a selected consultant to conduct local outreach and promotion for their 2019 conference: Unrig Summit. RepresentUs is the nation’s largest grassroots anti-corruption campaign. We bring conservatives and progressives together to fix America’s corrupt political system.
About Unrig Summit
In early February 2018, RepresentUs held the inaugural Unrig the System Summit in New Orleans, Louisiana. The Summit was a three-day, solutions-oriented gathering of democracy reform groups, academics, activists, and influencers from across the political spectrum.
Our goals were: to demonstrate a cross-partisan movement on the rise; to bring people from across the movement together to share ideas, break bread, and collaborate; and to do so in a way that was inclusive, creative, interactive and, above all, fun.
More than 1,200 attendees came from all 50 states to enjoy over 50 plenaries, panels, and workshops. They heard presentations from renowned policy and activism experts, shared knowledge and skills, and built a national anti-corruption network and movement. Topics covered ranged from gerrymandering and voting rights to the rise of big data in politics and the racial equity case for campaign finance reform. Shared resources, such as the Movement Map, developed as a result of collaborations from the Summit.
In addition to scores of panels led by experts, the Summit featured some of the biggest names in entertainment, including RepresentUs board member Jennifer Lawrence, comedians Tig Notaro, Nikki Glaser, and Adam Yenser, and musicians HoneyHoney and the Preservation All-Stars.
The 2019 Summit
The second annual Unrig the System Summit will take place in Nashville, Tennessee on March 29-31, 2019. The first Summit was a tremendous success, and also created room for growth opportunities. Attendees hoped for more skills-based programming, chances to network, and diverse perspectives. As we turn to planning 2019, we expect to build upon our success and put attendee experience and opinion at the forefront of our design process. The Summit is intentionally designed to leave participants feeling energized to be a part of the democracy reform movement and with a clear plan to get involved.
Local Turnout and Engagement (80%)
- Serve as RepresentUs’ on-the-ground representative for Unrig Summit.
- Outreach to local and state organizations with membership lists to increase awareness of event and encourage local turnout and volunteer opportunities.
- Outreach to local and nearby (~5 hr driving) colleges and universities to encourage student registration and volunteer opportunities.
- Placement of event listing in all greater-Nashville event guides, calendars, etc.
- Advice re: placement of greater-Nashville social media and traditional advertising.
- Advice and action re: drumming up conservative interest and attendance from Greater Nashville and the state.
- Advance press work with local media, including traditional, alt, and blogs.
- Active assist with all press — local and national (all press work in collaboration with RepresentUs staff).
- Assist in identifying high profile local people and organizations and authentic local voices to attend and participate in panels, entertainment, and plenaries.
- Introductions and liaising with local political and advocacy figures.
Logistical Support (20%)
- Advise and assist with logistics for the entire Summit with an eye towards viability given local factors: geography, transportation, culture, etc.
- Act as our eyes, ears, and feet on the ground with vendors, partners, and clients before, during, and shortly after the event.
- Advise on local entertainment to include in Summit programming and on evening entertainment options for attendees outside of programming times.
- Advise on potential local sponsors and vendors for Summit.
- Assist with physical setup of event, flow, day-of registration, etc. and collaborate on volunteer training session preparation.
Proposal Scope and Requirements
To facilitate the evaluation of proposals, consultants shall use the following proposal format:
- Resume and Cover Letter that highlights your local expertise and work history. What differentiates you from your potential competitors?
- Client References for prior work, preferably of a similar nature.
- Proposed Costs and Timelines, for all services. Note preferred payment schedule and salary. Provide a rough timeline for how you’d approach the outreach deliverables (Topline Goal being to drive the turnout 200 local registrants) and short list of organizations or individuals you’d include in a first wave of outreach.
Preparation and Submission
Consultants will prepare proposals in compliance with all of the instructions outlined in the RFP. Please submit an electronic copy via email of your proposal, including a cover letter and all supporting documentation, to Nora Gilbert and Robert Booth.
Term of Contract
The contract will start between October 15th and November 15th and will terminate on April 1st.
Basis of Award
The following criteria will be used to evaluate each RFP response:
- Availability, responsiveness and follow-up – this is envisioned as a full time position.
- Demonstrated knowledge
- Timely and complete response to the RFP
- Vendor client references
RFP Distribution September 2018
Deadline for RFP responses October 15th, 2018
Selections of Vendor/Contract Negotiation October 15th-November 15th
Project Completion April 1st, 2018
Should the consultant fail to meet the requirements of the contract, RepresentUs may cancel the contract within seven (7) days notice and award the remainder of the contract term to another consultant.
RepresentUs is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to recruit, hire, train, and promote at all levels the most qualified applicants without regard for race, ethnicity, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, transgender/transsexual identity, HIV/AIDS status, genetic information, matriculation, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran (collectively known as “Status Factors”). All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs.