We’re hiring a Communications Director to refine and execute a communications strategy that dramatically expands our reach and helps us win anti-corruption victories at the ballot. You’ll manage a kick-ass communications team and collaborate daily with exceptional senior leaders across the organization.
You won’t be starting from scratch. Our innovative communications work has already built the strongest communications operation in the US political reform movement and gotten hundreds of thousands of people to take action against corruption. But the status quo isn’t enough. We need to be even smarter, even more creative, and attract millions of people to our movement – because winning the fight against political corruption will take a hell of a lot of people power.
Our ideal candidate is that rare combination of creative, strategic, visionary, and disciplined. You know the rules and know when to break them. You’re an accomplished manager of both people and projects – someone with proven experience in developing and running ambitious campaigns at scale that reach and exceed their goals. You’re a good team player who’s ready to make a major impact. Oh, and you’re an excellent writer.
Under the direction of the Managing Director the Communications Director will:
- Develop, implement and continually refine a strategic communications plan to advance Represent.Us’ political and programmatic initiatives, our brand identity, general awareness of our work, and increased visibility with key audiences.
- Manage a small communications team, continually optimizing your team’s output, developing staff skills, and building their leadership and project management experience.
- Provide strategic communications support for political ballot initiatives in cities and states. Interact regularly with local communications experts, and offer strategic guidance as necessary. Oversee development of communications collateral for initiatives.
- Oversee all press and media relations. Cultivate relationships with journalists, producers, editorial boards, and other influential sources of public information.
- Develop and manage Represent.Us’ organizational messaging and talking points. Provide regular media coaching to staff spokespeople.
- Help develop and implement a strategy to engage influentials, including celebrities, political and business leaders, and prominent issue advocates.
- Provide strategic guidance and support for all other organizational communications verticals, including social media, website, and video/editorial content.
- Assist other teams as necessary with collateral, strategy and comms-related work.
- Develop smart, measurable communications goals, and prepare monthly statistical and descriptive reports on the communications team’s performance.
- Oversee communications budget.
Our new Communications Director will thrive in a self-directed and casual work environment – but know exactly when it’s time to put everyone’s nose to the grindstone and get the job done. You’ll be an excellent writer and verbal communicator, have experience managing people and projects, and understand work-hard, play-hard culture.
You must have a proven track record in the following areas:
- Developing smart communication strategies to further the goals of an organization
- Overseeing high-level communications projects and/or programs
- Communicating with journalists and securing national press coverage
- Writing and editing compelling content for diverse audiences
- Managing staff
- Working with political campaigns
Finally, you should have a strong desire to fix our broken democracy, have a great attitude, and embrace working in a cross-partisan organization.
Compensation and Benefits
We are committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer highly competitive salaries and pretty awesome benefits, including health and dental insurance, retirement benefits, a health reimbursement account, a dependent care account, and a wellness benefit. Oh, and we have this crazy idea that we’ll do better work if we have time to see our friends and families, so we get 4 weeks of paid vacation a year.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition, please include 2-3 writing samples. We’re accepting applications on a rolling basis, so please apply as soon as possible.
Represent.Us is the nation’s largest grassroots anti-corruption campaign. We bring conservatives and progressives together to fix America’s corrupt political system.
Our small team is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, advertising experts, designers, and engineers. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and know when it’s time to celebrate a Wednesday afternoon with root beer floats. We constantly push ourselves to push the envelope – to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
Represent.Us is based in Northampton, MA, and recently opened a satellite office in San Francisco. Come work with us!