Represent.Us is looking for a full-time Lead Organizer to implement field operations and manage our dedicated team of organizers as they conduct on-the-ground and remote organizing for a national campaign to pass sweeping anti-corruption reform.
This is an ideal position for a seasoned organizer who thrives on leading by example. In addition to managing the day-to-day work of the Organizing team and interns, the Lead Organizer is responsible for their own turf that they’ll provide remote support to—helping our chapter leaders recruit and retain dynamic volunteers to build local Represent.Us chapters across the country.
The Lead Organizer prepares and updates organizing plans, collateral and online materials, and organizing resources. The Lead Organizer recruits, trains, and coordinates volunteers, responds to questions and inquiries, and convenes online and offline events and meetings. The Lead Organizer identifies and cultivates institutional partners and enlists other issue groups into the campaign. Must be OK with working long, irregular hours, nights and weekends and holidays, and travel for short (overnight) and long (1-2 month) periods of time.
Under the direction of the National Field Director and Campaign Manager, the Lead Organizer:
- Provides strategic direction and oversight of organizing operations, and assists in setting priorities.
- This includes a national “ladder of engagement” organizing program;
- creation and deployment of sophisticated web-based organizing tools and resources;
- and managing complex organizing and deployment operations.
- Assists with communications and coordination amongst operations, creative, development, and campaign divisions.
- Provides remote support to volunteers to guide them through the process of building volunteer-run chapters, passing anti-corruption resolutions, and organizing special events and other advocacy and public education efforts.
- Regularly drafts, edits and sends email blasts to national network of over 5,000 volunteers.
- Helps set, achieve, measure, and report on benchmarks for organizing.
- Keeps staff fully informed on a regular basis of status of organizing programs and potential issues affecting other departmental work.
- Works with the Campaign Manager and National Field Director to implement departmental goals that serve the long-term strategic plan of the organization.
- Establishes and maintains relationships, participating in networks, coalitions, and collaborative projects.
- Performs other duties, such as special project planning and execution as needed to support the organization’s overall mission.
- Works collaboratively with other departments to produce campaign collateral.
- Prepares and submit reports as needed. Maintains records of work performed. Participates in staff meetings and other organizational development activities.
- Acts as delegate at grassroots member meetings and chapter forums as needed.
- Recruits interns and organizers at career fairs and local universities.
- Provides ground support for get out the vote (GOTV) efforts during the last 5 days of statewide campaigns, including but not limited to phone banking, door knocking, and logging and reporting turnout metrics.
- As needed, undergoes extended deployment to support state efforts including but not limited to recruiting, training, and managing statewide volunteers and grassroots relationships.
- 3 to 5 years of organizing experience required. Must demonstrate knowledge of political campaigning and organizing methodology.
- Experience managing a team required.
- Remote organizing experience is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of money in politics dynamics as well as anti-corruption reform efforts and/or organizations preferred.
- Content Creation: PR, email, web, marketing and education material drafting strongly desired.
- College graduate with an interest in movement-building and public policy desired.
- Experience with CRMs including Nationbuilder, Action Kit, and auto-dialers desired.
- Experience with ballot initiatives or similar campaigns strongly desired.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong interpersonal skills, strategic planning, and experience facilitating organizing trainings.
- Excellent research, analytical, and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in web research, data management, word processing, and other computer systems required.
- Must be highly organized, able to juggle multiple priorities and work well under pressure with critical deadlines; i.e. discern priorities and meet competing deadlines.
- Able to track and report on personal work conducted and set periodic goals for personal growth.
- Able to make decisions quickly and efficiently while maintaining a professional demeanor.
- Finally, you should have a great attitude and embrace working effectively with volunteers and partner groups across the political spectrum.
Compensation and Benefits
We are committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer highly competitive salaries and awesome benefits, including health and dental insurance, retirement benefits, a health reimbursement account, a dependent care account, and a wellness benefit. Oh, and we have this crazy idea that we’ll do better work if we have time to see our friends and families, so we get four weeks of paid vacation each year.
Please send an email with your resume and a letter of interest attached to email@example.com with the subject line “Lead Organizer.” Please include a writing sample, and also let us know your favorite campaigns and why.
Represent.Us is the nation’s largest grassroots anti-corruption campaign. We bring conservatives and progressives together to fix America’s corrupt political system.
Our small team is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, advertising experts, designers, and engineers. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and know when it’s time to celebrate a Wednesday afternoon with root beer floats. We constantly push ourselves to push the envelope – to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, FOX, CBS, and hundreds of other national and local media outlets.
Represent.Us is based in Northampton, MA, and recently opened a satellite office in San Francisco. Come work with us!