National Media Strategist
RepresentUs is the nation’s leading right-left anti-corruption organization. We bring together conservatives, progressives, and everyone in between to secure crucial victories that are defending our Republic and fixing America’s corrupt political system.
But what it means for you, potential coworker, is that you feel what we feel when you wake up every day: a strong sense of purpose that binds you to the spirit of this nation, and an overwhelming sense that you should do something about it. And you want to work with people who feel the same.
RepresentUs is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, advertising experts, designers, and engineers. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and we push ourselves to push the envelope – to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
We’re looking for enthusiastic new minds to help us grow, move faster, and achieve more. We believe our political system should reflect the varied voices of our nation, and so should our team. That’s why we’re an Equal Opportunity Employer; people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
In 2018, we helped pass 23 anti-corruption measures—a historic year for the movement.
We’re headquartered in Northampton, MA and also have staff in San Francisco, CA, Los Angeles, CA, Washington, DC, and New York, NY. Come win with us!
Our National Media Strategist will thrive in a self-directed and casual work environment—but know exactly when it’s time to put everyone’s nose to the grindstone and get the job done. You’ll be an excellent writer and verbal communicator, have experience managing people and projects, and understand work-hard, play-hard culture. Prior experience within a political campaign/organization, government, a PR agency, or in the field of journalism is preferred.
The National Media Strategist should have a strong desire to fix our broken democracy, have a great attitude, and embrace working in a cross-partisan organization. Finally, you should have a strong desire to put country over party to advocate for an America that works for everyone, not just a handful of billionaires and special interests.
What You’ll Be Doing
The National Media Strategist will develop and execute an earned media strategy that dramatically expands our reach and helps us win anti-corruption laws at the federal, state, and local level. You’ll be developing smart communication strategies to further the goals of the organization, overseeing high-level communications projects and/or programs, working with political campaigns, and managing staff.
In addition, the National Media Strategist will:
- Communicate with journalists and secure national press coverage
- Write and edit compelling content for diverse audiences
- Implement and refine a strategic communications plan to advance RepresentUs’ political and programmatic initiatives, our brand identity, and increased visibility with key audiences
- Oversee all press and media relations. Cultivate relationships with journalists, producers, editorial boards, and other influential sources of public information
- Develop and manage RepresentUs’ organizational messaging and talking points
- Provide regular media coaching to staff spokespeople
- Help to develop and implement a strategy to engage influentials, including celebrities, political and business leaders, and prominent issue advocates
- Provide strategic guidance and support for all other organizational communications verticals, including social media, website, and video/editorial content
- Leverage social media to develop relationships and increase awareness with press
- Assist other teams as necessary with collateral, strategy and comms-related work
- Develop smart, measurable communications goals, and prepare monthly statistical and descriptive reports on the communications team’s performance
Compensation and Benefits
We’re committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and pretty awesome benefits, including health and dental insurance, a health reimbursement account, wellness perks, a dependent care account, and a retirement benefit. Plus employer-funded short-term disability and life insurance.
Oh, and we have this wild idea that we’ll do better work if we have time to see our friends and families, so we get four weeks of paid vacation a year, plus personal and sick time.
If this sounds like you, please email your resume, cover letter, and 2-3 writing samples to email@example.com with the subject line “National Media Strategist.” We are reviewing applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
No phone calls please.