Regional Director of Development – West Coast
RepresentUs is the nation’s leading right-left anti-corruption organization. We bring together conservatives, progressives, and everyone in between to secure crucial victories that are defending our Republic and fixing America’s corrupt political system.
But what it means for you, potential coworker, is that you feel what we feel when you wake up every day: a strong sense of purpose that binds you to the spirit of this nation, and an overwhelming sense that you should do something about it. And you want to work with people who feel the same.
RepresentUs is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, advertising experts, designers, and engineers. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and we push ourselves to push the envelope—to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
We’re looking for enthusiastic new minds to help us grow, move faster, and achieve more. We believe our political system should reflect the varied voices of our nation, and so should our team. That’s why we’re an Equal Opportunity Employer; people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
In 2018, we helped pass 23 anti-corruption measures—a historic year for the movement.
We’re headquartered in Northampton, MA and also have staff around the country. Come win with us!
You’re able to act independently and exercise good judgment to identify and solve problems. You love to meet people and hear their stories, and you’re able to translate those experiences into RepresentUs’ mission and goals. You’re able to achieve results by persuading, convincing, or influencing others. You can adapt your approach to the individual or group and know how and when to use complex influence strategies. You’re comfortable participating in negotiations for complex, high profile, or sensitive agreements. You will demonstrate sensitivity in handling confidential information and ensure compliance with policies and procedures and external (donor/legal/IRS) requirements. You understand that decisions may have program-wide impact and bind the organization financially or legally. You’re a multi-tasker and able to manage and implement multiple projects, sometimes directing work of staff and volunteers, managing budgets, and setting deadlines.
About The Role
Under the direction of the VP of Development, the Regional Director of Development – West Coast is responsible for managing a portfolio of qualified donors and building strong relationships. They understand and apply complex donor management principles to move relationships through cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. They will be responsible for direct solicitations to both C3 and C4 priorities to meet funding needs. They involve and engage appropriate partners within RepresentUs’ leadership, keeping them apprised of interactions, issues, and/or concerns, and address questions as needed. The Regional Director of Development understands project budgets and may build proposal budgets utilizing this knowledge. They will develop a referral network as needed and may manage formal and/or informal networks of volunteers.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Persuasively conveying the urgency of RepresentUs’ mission to diverse groups who are important to the organization’s overall prosperity.
- Managing a portfolio of 150+ prospects/donors, and providing written donor strategies for engagement.
- Being responsible for 100-120 visits and 180-300 moves annually.
- Working as part of the overall Development team to develop and execute strategies to achieve annual departmental goals.
- Collaborating with the Development team in goal-setting and expense management.
- Traveling frequently and on short notice, working long and flexible hours as needed.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 6-8 years related experience or an equivalent combination.
- Experience building and maintaining long-term relationships.
- Experience in asking for and closing gifts of $50,000 or more.
- Ability to write well and effectively communicate the mission, goals, and needs of an organization to donors, and ability to articulate complex ideas clearly, accurately, and concisely.
- Experience in managing and tracking multiple prospects and donors.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams, preferably in a non-profit.
- Experience working with fundraising principles and practices.
- Possess high level of intellectual curiosity.
- Demonstrated experience using listening, diplomacy, and tact to build strong relationships and motivate donors and volunteers.
Compensation and Benefits
We’re committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and pretty awesome benefits, including health and dental insurance, a health reimbursement account, wellness perks, a dependent care account, and a retirement benefit. Plus employer-funded short-term disability and life insurance.
Oh, and we have this wild idea that we’ll do better work if we have time to see our friends and families, so we get four weeks of paid vacation a year, plus personal and sick time.
This role is based in California.