VP of Development
America’s political crisis has reached a breaking point. Extremism, corruption, and gridlock have led to a destabilizing and dangerous ‘system failure’ that stymies progress on nearly every issue. From education to health; from climate to taxes… the list goes on.
RepresentUs was founded in 2012 to pass anti-corruption laws that fix the root cause of our political crisis: broken election, ethics, and campaign finance laws that foster dysfunction, and are causing political system failure. We are leading a movement of independents, progressives, and conservatives that builds on America’s long tradition of pursuing federal reform through the states. RepresentUs is the largest grassroots anti-corruption campaign, headquartered in Northampton, Massachusetts with additional offices in San Francisco, Washington, DC, and New York.
In this newly created position, the Vice President of Development (VP) will have the distinct opportunity to join an organization at the forefront of the U.S. democracy reform movement. RepresentUs brings a proven, state-based campaign strategy to tackling these issues, and stands alone as a non-partisan leader in the field.
Reporting to the Director and Co-Founder, and joining the management team, the VP will set and define fundraising priorities, with a mandate to structure clear portfolios of work and build out the necessary team and the internal systems required to mobilize new levels of philanthropy in support of this groundbreaking movement. Designing and executing against a dynamic and diversified development strategy, the Vice President will help ensure necessary funding to support the organization’s ambitious plans for growth, as it supports the passage of transformative democracy reforms in states across America.
Strategy and Leadership
- In collaboration with the management team and the Board of Directors, design and implement a development strategy, identifying priorities amongst existing funding streams and devising a clear approach to meeting both (c)(3) and (c)(4) fundraising goals.
- Partner with the Board of Directors to explore the creation of a Development Committee with clearly defined roles and responsibilities.
- Oversee a high performing Development team, clearly articulating divisions of work and providing opportunities for professional development.
Fundraising and Communications
- Maintain existing donor relationships, with an emphasis on managing a portfolio of major donors.
- Staff the executive team and Board members as they engage top prospects.
- Partner with the Communications team to continuously improve and refine the organization’s fundraising narrative and collateral.
- Leverage the strength of existing prospect lists and identify new avenues and markets for increased funding in alignment with the development strategy.
- Partner with the Development team to refine and implement the systems and tools that will support all fundraising efforts: small, medium, and major donors.
- Streamline internal business and communication processes to increase efficiency and maximize staff resources and bandwidth.
RepresentUs seeks a seasoned fundraising professional who brings a passion for and commitment to the organization’s mission and vision. The ideal candidate will lead with a sense of urgency commensurate with the issue and will bring rich experience designing, leading, and scaling development functions within mission driven organizations and/or campaigns.
The Vice President of Development will possess high-level strategy chops and the operational expertise to assess and implement the necessary team structure, tools, and technology to support a fast-paced and growing organization. Candidates should be well versed in working with a myriad of donor constituencies ranging from small donors to high net worth individuals and foundations. As such, the ability to operate with fluency across funding streams while developing, stewarding, and managing relationships is essential. Overseeing the entirety of the development function, the Vice President must bring demonstrated experience creating department-wide strategies, with the expertise to set direction and provide guidance to team members.
The successful candidate will be highly knowledgeable about how to fundraise for causes, movements, and issues, understanding how to convey a compelling story about the organization’s work. Deep experience translating complex issues into relatable and tangible narratives is required. While content expertise is not essential, candidates must possess the intellectual curiosity and horsepower to become conversant in relevant issues and policies.
The RepresentUs culture is fast-paced, and thrives on collaboration, transparency, and accountability. Although an established organization, the start-up nature of their work requires an ambitious and motivated individual who leads with humility, a sense of humor, and an optimistic view of what is possible. The mission and work of RepresentUs is challenging and hard-fought, which requires a leader with tenacity and perseverance driven by passion, as well as a genuine belief in the power of individuals and movements to improve society.
Candidates must possess a minimum of five years of senior fundraising experience. Experience securing gifts in the six-figure range with annual revenue goals of ten million or more is essential.
This position will ideally be based in San Francisco, Los Angeles or New York, but other locations will be considered. Domestic travel is required.
To Be Considered
RepresentUs is an equal opportunity employer. Candidates who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
To be considered, please submit your resume and cover letter expressing your interest and fit for the role via Waldron’s Candidate Portal.
The search for a Vice President of Development for RepresentUs is being assisted by a team from Waldron: