Represent.Us is powering the largest grassroots movement to fix political corruption – and the first touchpoint for most people is our online properties. We’re looking for someone who wants to use their tech skills to power a movement and empower volunteers. If you’re obsessed with front-end development, love digging into data, and get a thrill out of solving problems, this is the job for you.
The web developer is the organization’s go-to person for all things technical. You’ll be the lead on developing new functionality for our website and other online properties, administering our server environment, performing maintenance and backup, responding to technical emergencies, integrating 3rd party APIs and social media tools, and working with outside vendors to ensure a stable and secure technical infrastructure.
Position Status: Part-Time
Work Location: Florence, MA or San Francisco, CA
- Reporting to the Digital Director, you’ll work with the Digital Team, Graphic Designer, and others to design, develop, and maintain our online properties and custom applications
- Collaborate with our design and content teams to build prototypes, respond to feedback, and iterate quickly, ensuring that all applications and server environment are secure, stable, and scalable
- Work independently to tackle bugs, small edits, and feature implementation across all products and properties
- Administer our servers and hosting environment
- Perform maintenance and backup tasks
- Respond to technical emergencies and site downtime
- Troubleshoot, test, and analyze web development work and determine appropriate fixes/solutions
- Compile documentation to ensure easy maintenance
- Understand the necessity of, and contribute to, coding best practices and standards
- Develop technical and functional design requirements based on programmatic needs and communicate those requirements to non-technical staff
- Keep abreast of, and research new technology and trends. Recommend innovative solutions and suggest opportunities to integrate them into our operations and activities
- Maintain all platforms and programs to identify and respond to failures and inconsistencies in a timely manner
- Ensure the integrity of all data across all properties, develop custom reports/queries, and make sure that reports are accessible and accurate
- Respond to the rapidly changing needs of any campaign by delivering the most efficient, viable, and complete solution for a variety of problems and platforms
- Frequently work independently on extremely technical problems without the help of other technical staff
- Able to learn new technology and tasks quickly and completely
- A minimum of four years experience developing robust web applications
- A high degree of comfort using Unix command line-only tools
- A high degree of comfort managing a remote Unix server via command line interface
- Comfort with distributed version control systems (Git)
- Experience with building themes and plugins for WordPress
- Experience with Node.js
- Experience designing and implementing clean and efficient user interfaces
- NationBuilder experience a plus
- ActionKit experience a plus
Compensation and Benefits
We are committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer highly competitive salaries and pretty awesome benefits, including health and dental insurance, retirement benefits, a health reimbursement account, a dependent care account, and a wellness benefit. Oh, and we have this crazy idea that we’ll do better work if we have time to see our friends and families, so we get four (4) weeks of paid vacation each year.
Please send an email with your resume and a letter of interest attached to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Web Developer.”
Represent.Us is the nation’s largest grassroots anti-corruption campaign. We bring conservatives and progressives together to fix America’s corrupt political system.
Our small team is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, advertising experts, designers, and engineers. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and know when it’s time to celebrate a Wednesday afternoon with root beer floats. We constantly push ourselves to push the envelope – to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
We’ve been featured in the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, FOX, CBS, and hundreds of other national and local media outlets.
Represent.Us is based in Northampton, MA, and recently opened a satellite office in San Francisco, CA. Come work with us!