RepresentUs is seeking qualified candidates for a Communications Internship in our Northampton, MA office. As a Communications Intern, you’ll play a direct role in the day-to-day work of the Communications team for our national campaign and build a skillset essential for any communications professional in the nonprofit or political fields.
- You’re motivated and enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- You’re organized and stay on top of multiple priorities and complex projects
- You’re technologically proficient and able to learn to navigate a media database with minimal supervision
- You’re innovative and enjoy solving problems and finding new ways of doing things
- You’re able to demonstrate excellent proofreading and editing skills
What you’ll be doing
- Assisting the Communications team with drafting press releases, developing media contact lists, and doing outreach to journalists and news outlets
- Improving and implementing a system for tracking incoming press hits
- Researching corruption stories in target locations to support our Digital and Communications teams
- Coordinating with our Campaign team to support our grassroots organizing efforts
- Assisting in creative projects like video launches, event planning, content creation for social media, and digital storytelling campaigns
- The internship will run February 10 – May 1, 2020.
- Applications are due no later than December 20, 2019.
How to apply
Please be sure to attach all requested materials. Due to the volume of applications, incomplete applications will not be considered.
Personal Statement / Letter of Interest
Tell us about yourself and why you are applying to the RepresentUs internship program. Please craft and attach a detailed 1-2 page statement describing the following:
- How did you hear about RepresentUs and this internship program?
- Why should we hire you?
- Why do you want to work at RepresentUs?
- What special skills do you bring to the table?
- What social issues are you most passionate about, and how do they connect to the mission of RepresentUs?
- What are you hoping to get out of the internship? (What skills are you looking to acquire? What are you hoping to learn?)
List and briefly describe:
- Past work, internship, or volunteer experiences. Name the organizations where you worked and the dates of employment. Also include a short description of your work.
- Any other training, academic, extracurricular, or study abroad experiences that may be relevant to your application.
- Your relevant skills and interests. This may include: research skills, writing ability, film/video proficiency, political involvement, graphic design, experience with specific software, etc.
Recent Writing Sample
Please provide a recent writing sample that exemplifies your voice and style and gives us a sense of your ability as a writer. This may be in any format that you believe may be relevant to the internship, for example a research paper, an essay for class, an op-ed, a press release, creative writing, etc. Material on politics or current events is a plus, but not required. We suggest no more than 5 pages.
Thank you for your interest in RepresentUs and our internship program!