RepresentUs is the nation’s leading right-left anti-corruption organization. We bring together conservatives, progressives, and everyone in between to secure crucial victories that are defending our Republic and fixing America’s corrupt political system.
But what it means for you, potential coworker, is that you feel what we feel when you wake up every day: a strong sense of purpose that binds you to the spirit of this nation, and an overwhelming sense that you should do something about it. And you want to work with people who feel the same.
RepresentUs is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, advertising experts, designers, and engineers. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and we push ourselves to push the envelope—to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
We’re looking for enthusiastic new minds to help us grow, move faster, and achieve more. We believe our political system should reflect the varied voices of our nation, and so should our team. That’s why we’re an Equal Opportunity Employer; people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
In 2018, we helped pass 23 anti-corruption measures—a historic year for the movement.
We’re headquartered in Northampton, MA and also have staff around the country. Come win with us!
You love to write. More, you are an excellent writer. You are challenged by making complex ideas and concepts easy to understand, and your writing inspires people to financially support us and/or join the movement to defend our republic. You embrace honest and constructive feedback in your writing, knowing that there are many layers and voices to include. You are able to juggle multiple projects and respect deadlines.
About The Role
Under the direction of the VP of Development, the Development Writer works closely with front-line fundraisers and operations staff to create fundraising proposals, project summaries and impact reports, stewardship communications, and other written collateral in support of a full-scale fundraising effort for internal and external audiences.
This position will serve as both editor and principal writer for print and electronic published projects, offering support for projects and opportunities involving individual donors, institutional foundations, and general stewardship projects.
The Development Writer will also collaborate with Communications and Marketing staff to ensure consistency with theme, brand, design, content, and delivery, following established RepresentUs guidelines.
This is a full-time position. Preference will be given to candidates who can work out of our headquarters in western Massachusetts. Remote employment from other locations may be considered for exceptional candidates.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Writing proposals or editing and customizing pre-existing proposals to prospects for major gift solicitations.
- Drafting or editing gift agreements and other solidifying documents.
- Creating templates for proposals and gift agreements.
- Preparing correspondence from the Director, Co-Founders, and other staff and volunteers to top donors and prospects.
- In collaboration with development staff, preparing stewardship reports and materials to enable donors to understand and appreciate the impact their gifts have made and are making.
- In collaboration with marketing and communications staff, creating compelling and timely content about RepresentUs’ fundraising priorities and results for use in print, electronic, and other communications channels.
- Organizing fundraising and campaign information for effective presentation in publications, websites, and other media.
- Compiling data and producing presentation decks for events, meetings, board reports, etc.
- Working as part of the overall development team to execute strategies and achieve annual departmental goals.
- Performing other tasks as assigned.
Skills and Experience
- Substantial experience writing for development/fundraising, communications, media relations, or related field.
- Expert use of English grammar, punctuation, and syntax.
- Outstanding writing, editing, and proofreading skills, including “ghost writing” ability.
- Mastery of best practices in proposal development, including understanding of branding and positioning strategies and how to use various communication channels.
- Strong analytical and research skills.
- Experience managing multiple projects, and effectively prioritizing while maintaining attention to detail and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of the team.
- Strong commitment to RepresentUs’ mission, purpose, and values.
Compensation and Benefits
We’re committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and pretty awesome benefits, including health and dental insurance, a health reimbursement account, wellness perks, a dependent care account, and a retirement benefit. Plus employer-funded short-term disability and life insurance.
Oh, and we have this wild idea that we’ll do better work if we have time to see our friends and families, so we get four weeks of paid vacation a year, plus personal and sick time.
Salary commensurate with experience.