RepresentUs is seeking qualified candidates for an Organizing Internship in our Northampton, MA office. Organizing Interns work as part of a team to engage grassroots activists across the country and develop our nationwide volunteer-led chapters. As an Organizing Intern, you’ll work one-on-one with our volunteers, helping mobilize members of a nationwide grassroots movement to fix America’s broken political system. You’ll gain valuable experience working with a successful and rapidly growing national nonprofit to support grassroots advocacy efforts.
This position requires occasional evening and weekend hours. Must commit to working a minimum of 20 hours per week, with preference given to candidates able to work 30-40 hours per week.
- You’re outgoing and enjoy talking with people in person and over the phone
- You’re collaborative and self-directed; you work well as part of a team, and on your own
- You’re patient and detail-oriented – you can follow our phone-banking systems to a T!
- You’re passionate – you care about grassroots activism and anti-corruption reform
- You’re able to effectively prioritize tasks, be flexible when curveballs arise, and take initiative when needed
What you’ll be doing
- Tracking volunteer metrics using Nationbuilder, ActionKit, and Excel
- Helping to draft campaign materials and create web pages
- Participating in and helping to facilitate weekly call nights
- Utilizing Listfixer calling and ThruText messaging for volunteer recruitment and event outreach
- Collaborating with other members of the Organizing team as well as members of the Political and Communications teams as needed
- The internship will run February 10 – May 1, 2020.
- Applications are due no later than December 20, 2019.
How to apply
Please be sure to attach all requested materials. Due to the volume of applications, incomplete applications will not be considered.
Personal Statement / Letter of Interest
Tell us about yourself and why you are applying to the RepresentUs internship program. Please craft and attach a detailed 1-2 page statement describing the following:
- How did you hear about RepresentUs and this internship program?
- Why should we hire you?
- Why do you want to work at RepresentUs?
- What special skills do you bring to the table?
- What social issues are you most passionate about, and how do they connect to the mission of RepresentUs?
- What are you hoping to get out of the internship? (What skills are you looking to acquire? What are you hoping to learn?)
List and briefly describe:
- Past work, internship, or volunteer experiences. Name the organizations where you worked and the dates of employment. Also include a short description of your work.
- Any other training, academic, extracurricular, or study abroad experiences that may be relevant to your application.
- Your relevant skills and interests. This may include: research skills, writing ability, film/video proficiency, political involvement, graphic design, experience with specific software, etc.
Recent Writing Sample
Please provide a recent writing sample that exemplifies your voice and style and gives us a sense of your ability as a writer. This may be in any format that you believe may be relevant to the internship, for example a research paper, an essay for class, an op-ed, a press release, creative writing, etc. Material on politics or current events is a plus, but not required. We suggest no more than 5 pages.
Thank you for your interest in RepresentUs and our internship program!