RepresentUs is seeking a full-time Senior Communications Strategist to provide targeted, high-impact legal assistance to America’s growing nonpartisan political reform movement.
About The Role
The Senior Communications Strategist is a key part of the Campaign Accelerator — a nationwide program to supercharge the nonpartisan political reform movement by providing multi-state, multi-issue assistance, assets, and services to the most promising reform campaigns across the country. Supported by a team of political, legal, policy, digital, and research experts, the SCS is responsible for overseeing the Accelerator’s communications assistance for priority campaigns across the country.
The Senior Communications Strategist will focus on two core areas of work: 1) Driving creative communications strategies and developing deliverables (pitches, op-eds, LTEs, press releases, and messaging guidelines) for the Accelerator’s priority in-state advocacy campaigns; and 2) Planning and executing an earned media strategy that promotes the Accelerator’s political work at the state and national level. You’ll be developing smart communication strategies to further the goals of the organization, working with political campaigns, and managing relationships with national, state, and local reporters.
The Senior Communications Strategist should have a strong desire to fix our broken political system, and embrace working in an organization that puts country over party.
- Promote the Accelerator’s work on both a national level and state level
- Write and edit compelling content for target audiences
- Implement and refine a strategic communications plan to advance the Accelerator’s programmatic initiatives, our brand identity, and increased visibility with key audiences
- Cultivate relationships with journalists, producers, editorial boards, and other influential sources of public information, with a particular focus on local and statewide media
- Present communications strategies while managing projects and developing one-on-one relationships with principals in our partner campaigns
- Learn and translate policy positions; write speeches; prepare event briefings and talking points
- Work with in-state campaigns and partners to develop and manage messaging and talking points
- Provide media coaching and training to in-state partners and spokespeople
- Identify campaign opportunities to engage influentials, including celebrities, political and business leaders, and prominent issue advocates
- Leverage social media to develop relationships and increase awareness with press
- Develop and meet smart, measurable communications goals in line with the growth and direction of the Campaign Accelerator and the organization
The Senior Communications Strategist thrives in a fast paced, self-directed work environment — identifying key national, state, and local media opportunities to advance local campaigns supported by RepresentUs. You are an excellent writer and verbal communicator, have strong political instincts, and are an experienced project manager. You know how to build meaningful media relationships, pitch stories and op-eds, and draft compelling content.
- Interest or experience in proactively building the profile of leaders in the election reform field, pitching day-to-day stories and building long-term narratives
- Experience preparing principals and surrogates for high stakes interviews
- Experience building profiles of organizational leaders and volunteers, including press releases, op-eds, remarks, briefing materials and more
- Experience working with volunteers and training them on communications tactics
- Experience serving in a communications role, including time spent on political or advocacy campaigns
- Prior experience within a political campaign/organization, government, nonprofit, a public relations/advertising agency, or news outlet is preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
We are committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health (Harvard Pilgrim HMO or UnitedHealthcare PPO network) and dental insurance (Delta Dental), both with family/spouse/domestic partner options, retirement benefits, a health reimbursement account, a dependent care account, short-term disability insurance, a wellness benefit, a $1,500 annual professional development stipend, and four weeks paid vacation, plus personal and sick time. Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position is virtual, but to facilitate collaboration preference may be given to applicants in the Washington, DC, New York, NY, Philadelphia, PA, and Northampton, MA areas, as well as to those willing to operate in Eastern or Central time.
RepresentUs is the nation’s leading left-right anti-corruption organization. We bring together conservatives, progressives, and everyone in between to fix America’s political system.
Our team is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, marketing experts, and designers. We’re looking for enthusiastic new leaders to help us grow, move faster, and achieve more.
We believe that our political system should reflect the varied voices of our nation, and so should our team. That’s why we’re an Equal Opportunity Employer — people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.