RepresentUs is seeking a full-time Senior Counsel to provide targeted, high-impact legal assistance to America’s growing nonpartisan political reform movement.
The Senior Counsel is a leadership role within RepresentUs’s Campaign Accelerator — a nationwide program to supercharge the nonpartisan political reform movement by providing multi-state, multi-issue (including redistricting, money in politics, voting systems, voting access, ballot access, ethics) assistance, assets, and services to the most promising reform campaigns across the country. Supported by research, political, and policy staff and a budget for engaging local counsels, the Senior Counsel is responsible for managing the legal aspects of the Accelerator’s work across all priority campaigns, including assisting the Accelerator’s team of Campaign Directors and in-state partners in assessing legal landscapes, identifying risks, and solving problems.
This is a highly dynamic, challenging, and interesting senior position within an impactful program at the forefront of the burgeoning political reform movement.
- 70% time: Working closely with the Accelerator’s Campaign Directors, provide in-depth legal assistance for high-priority state campaigns, including:
- Researching and developing anti-corruption and structural political reform policies;
- Assessing the viability of those reforms in particular jurisdictions, including ensuring those reforms are legally sound/within risk tolerance;
- Assisting with the development of those reforms into ballot measures and legislation;
- Providing legal guidance and advice throughout the entire life cycle of an initiative or legislative campaign; and
- Helping defend initiatives and legislation from legal and political challenges.
- 15%: Identify, recruit, support, and serve as organizational point person to local counsel in campaign jurisdictions.
- 15%: Work with in-house administrative counsel and outside compliance counsel to:
- Ensure that Accelerator actions, engagements, and programming comply with relevant federal, state, and local laws, including lobbying, campaign finance, and nonprofit laws;
- Draft and review Accelerator contracts and campaign MOUs;
- Assist with other in-house counsel duties such as reviewing vendor contracts, providing feedback on communications or development materials, responding to legal inquiries from staff, and identifying the need for, and overseeing, the assistance of outside counsel.
- Extremely strong writing, research, and interpersonal skills;
- J.D. and membership in a state bar;
- At least 3-5 years legal experience in Election Law/Political Law (significant litigation or compliance experience is not required, but familiarity is a plus);
- Significant experience communicating the risks and potential outcomes associated with legal decisions to non-legal audiences;
- Familiarity and comfort with political campaigns and politically informed decision-making;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and prioritize workflow;
- A deep passion for making America’s political system work for everyone — not just the wealthy or well-connected — and a willingness to work above and beyond, to achieve the democracy Americans deserve.
Compensation and Benefits
We are committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and benefits, including health (Harvard Pilgrim HMO or UnitedHealthcare PPO network) and dental insurance (Delta Dental), both with family/spouse/domestic partner options, retirement benefits, a health reimbursement account, a dependent care account, short-term disability insurance, a wellness benefit, a $1,500 annual professional development stipend, and four weeks paid vacation, plus personal and sick time.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and ranges between $90,000 and $120,000 per year.
This position is virtual, but to facilitate collaboration preference may be given to applicants in the Washington, DC, New York, NY, Philadelphia, PA, and Northampton, MA areas, as well as to those willing to operate in Eastern or Central time.
RepresentUs is the nation’s leading left-right anti-corruption organization. We bring together conservatives, progressives, and everyone in between to fix America’s political system.
Our team is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, marketing experts, and designers. We’re looking for enthusiastic new leaders to help us grow, move faster, and achieve more.
We believe that our political system should reflect the varied voices of our nation, and so should our team. That’s why we’re an Equal Opportunity Employer — people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.