RepresentUs is hiring a Research Analyst to help accelerate the growing anti-corruption movement by identifying, tracking, analyzing, and providing support for transformative election reform campaigns around the country.
The Research Analyst is responsible for monitoring the state of reform across the range of issues that make up RepresentUs’s policy platform, and will find, evaluate, and elevate the key emerging efforts. The movement needs watchful eyes, sharp analysis, and willingness to dig through details, and the Research Analyst will work at the top of the pipeline to ensure that viable, impact campaigns get the support they need to develop and win.
Passion for RepresentUs’ mission to make America work for everyone, not just the powerful and well-connected, is essential. Commitment to working beyond partisanship is required, and knowledge of policy solutions to fight corruption, get big money out of politics, end gerrymandering, and give voters more voice and more choice is a plus.
The Research Analyst will be a part of the Campaign Accelerator team, on a mission to supercharge the cross-partisan American democracy movement by providing multi-state, multi-issue election reform campaign services to the most promising fights across the country.
Reporting to the Research Manager, the Research Analyst will:
- Routinely monitor and track reform efforts, political analyses, and media coverage across a range of policy issues within each of the states in their portfolio
- Evaluate existing efforts for their political viability and policy impact, and prioritize and elevate the campaigns with the potential to create systemic reform
- Identify the gaps in the map where problems are not being solved and where reforms are most needed
- Advise the Campaign Accelerator team and the organization’s staff and partners on the policy and politics of these campaigns to inform engagement and messaging
- Build the organization’s institutional knowledge by identifying key stakeholders, change-makers, and partners in each jurisdiction
- Provide research support for existing campaigns, and analyses of anti-corruption policies, as needed and applicable
Skills and Experience
- Experience conducting political and/or policy research, particularly around election reform issues, is a plus.
- Excellent time-management and prioritization skills, and an ability to work independently and proactively
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent written communication skills, with a demonstrated capacity to explain complex policies to non-expert audiences in a concise format
- Highly developed strategic thinking and execution skills; the ability to parse detailed information quickly and the drive to dig into the specifics
- This is a virtual position, and candidates must have consistent access to reliable internet and phone
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the position and RepresentUs, and detailing relevant research experience
- A resume or CV and your contact information
- A response, in one page or less, to the following prompt: Please compile a one-page memo detailing relevant information for Campaign Accelerator staff about The California Voter’s Choice Act. Please use hyperlinks to cite sources (instead of footnotes). Bullet points are encouraged.
Please note that applications that do not include each of these elements will not be considered.
Compensation and Benefits
We’re committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and great benefits, including health and dental insurance, a health reimbursement account, wellness perks, a dependent care account, and a retirement benefit. Plus employer-funded short-term disability and life insurance.
We offer four weeks of paid vacation a year, plus personal and sick time.
Salary is commensurate with experience, and ranges for this position between $40,000 and $55,000 per year.
This position is virtual, but has working hours in US Central or Eastern time zones. To facilitate collaboration, preference will be given to applicants in the New York City or Philadelphia areas.
We currently have staff in Massachusetts, North Carolina, Washington DC, Pennsylvania, California, New York, and Alabama.
No phone calls, please.
RepresentUs is the nation’s leading right-left anti-corruption organization. We bring together conservatives, progressives, and everyone in between to secure crucial victories that are defending our Republic and fixing America’s corrupt political system.
But what it means for you, potential coworker, is that you feel what we feel when you wake up every day: a strong sense of purpose that binds you to the spirit of this nation, and an overwhelming sense that you should do something about it. And you want to work with people who feel the same.
RepresentUs is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, advertising experts, designers, and engineers. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and we push ourselves to push the envelope—to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
We’re looking for enthusiastic new minds to help us grow, move faster, and achieve more. We believe our political system should reflect the varied voices of our nation, and so should our team. That’s why we’re an Equal Opportunity Employer; people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
In 2018, we helped pass 23 anti-corruption measures—a historic year for the movement.