RepresentUs is the nation’s leading right-left anti-corruption organization. We bring together conservatives, progressives, and everyone in between to secure crucial victories that are defending our Republic and fixing America’s corrupt political system.
But what it means for you, potential coworker, is that you feel what we feel when you wake up every day: a strong sense of purpose that binds you to the spirit of this nation, and an overwhelming sense that you should do something about it. And you want to work with people who feel the same.
RepresentUs is a carefully curated mix of seasoned political campaigners, policy wonks, advertising experts, designers, and engineers. We’re not a startup, but we’ve got startup DNA: we’re nimble, constantly learning and iterating, and we push ourselves to push the envelope—to ignore “industry standards” and set a new standard.
We’re looking for enthusiastic new minds to help us grow, move faster, and achieve more. We believe our political system should reflect the varied voices of our nation, and so should our team. That’s why we’re an Equal Opportunity Employer; people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
In 2018, we helped pass 23 anti-corruption measures—a historic year for the movement.
We’re headquartered in Northampton, MA and also have staff around the country. Come win with us!
You are a social media expert with experience leading strategy at an agency or for a large brand. You have a knack for making snappy content that catches. You love sparking conversations and engaging with people on social media, and you’re deeply aware of how each channel is different—from the tools available to the audiences you’ll find. You want to use your skills to build a movement and encourage political action. You’re eager and ready to learn new skills, work hard, and push yourself to win.
You are a creative AND analytical thinker: You like to come up with headlines & imagery, and also to crunch numbers and nerd out with a spreadsheet. You love collaborating with other people, but you also know how to manage your own time and projects.
And finally: you get excited about the idea of communicating with more than 1 million online supporters and 5,000 RepresentUs activists building chapters, campaigning, organizing creative actions and, ultimately, adding to the wave of city and state anti-corruption laws being passed across the country.
What You’ll Be Doing
We’re looking for a Social Media Strategist to lead our multi-platform social strategy. RepresentUs is building a movement, and you’ll be responsible for making the anti-corruption movement famous—defining our brand online and reaching millions of people with viral content. You’ll be hacking both the Facebook algorithm and people’s psychology, inventing new strategies to get in people’s feeds, with content that isn’t just shareable but is memorable. You will lead efforts to partner with like-minded organizations, get stories in front of new audiences, and make our brand “sticky” with content that positions RepresentUs as the place to come if you care about corruption and how you can help fix it.
Your top responsibilities will include:
- Coming up with creative strategies for growing and maintaining our audience of over 1 million social media followers
- Defining our brand voice on social media channels, making corruption a compelling issue with a fresh, bold, and approachable tone—no academic jargon here, thanks.
- Leading an editorial process to release social media campaigns that break through to new audiences and define what’s being talked about in the anti-corruption field
- Working with a team of writers, video editors, and designers to produce creative for organic and paid campaigns
- Being obsessed with metrics that matter and how to improve them: reaching new audiences, getting them excited about anti-corruption and our community, and converting them to donors and volunteers
- Working with all RepresentUs teams to develop social media content and strategies supporting a variety of initiatives, from celebrity engagement to volunteer protests to state ballot campaigns
- Advising on paid social opportunities to capitalize on our best content and recruit new supporters
- Training staff on brand voice and best practices, to level up our entire team’s social media skillset
- Executing A/B testing plans to optimize campaigns and inspire more people to deepen their engagement with the movement
- 3-5 years experience leading social media strategies for a nonprofit, business, political candidate, or similar
- Advanced understanding of Facebook Page Manager, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook Business Manager, and other social media tools
- Expertise at translating complex ideas into simple, emotional content that people share
- Ability to learn new skills quickly
- High level of organization, including experience leading major programs and strategies
- Excellent writing and communication skills; spelling and grammar snobs are encouraged to apply
- Basic understanding of graphic design tools or video editing highly desirable
- Ability to work well under pressure and tight deadlines, and stay organized to get a campaign out the door
- Experience managing projects from concept through execution
- Technical skills, including knowledge of HTML, CSS, etc. (preferred)
Compensation and Benefits
We’re committed to bringing in top talent from all sectors. Accordingly, we offer competitive salaries and pretty awesome benefits, including health and dental insurance, a health reimbursement account, wellness perks, a dependent care account, and a retirement benefit. Plus employer-funded short-term disability and life insurance.
Oh, and we have this wild idea that we’ll do better work if we have time to see our friends and families, so we get four weeks of paid vacation a year, plus personal and sick time.
The annual salary range for the Social Media Strategist position varies by location: $55-$65K in MA, $70-$90K in CA.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls please.