When politicians fail to act, ballot initiatives are the only way voters can go around them to pass laws. But now, self-interested politicians and special interests are trying to silence the voters by making initiatives all-but-impossible to pass. Their plan goes through state legislatures and the Supreme Court, and would mean decades of democracy victories are overturned and the people no longer have a voice.
Find out where these attacks are underway using the interactive map below.
The Attack on
- Requires super-majority vote for passage
- Requires simple-majority vote for passage
- Does not have a state-wide ballot initiative process
- # of state attacks in the last 5 years
- Where key voter-passed laws are threatened by SCOTUS case
- Where super-majority attack is on the ballot in November
Hover overTap table cells for source information and links:
Does your state have a citizens initiative process?
What is the threshold to pass a ballot initiative?
# of attacks on the ballot initiative process in the last 5 years